Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dyed fleece

I thought I'd post some pictures of wool that I dyed in the past few weeks. I have only used Wash Fast acid dyes so far, but I really like the vibrant colors they produce.
Below are two images taken from two separate dye jobs of a Rambouillet x Border Leicester fleece. The colors look similar, but the one on the left is a much darker blue (almost ultramarine) while the one on the right is more of a sky blue.

And here are some pictures of various combed tops from a 50:50 mix of Merino x Corriedale/Rambouillet x Border Leicester fleeces (except for the right-most frame, which is natural color Merino x Corriedale). I added the R x BL for extra shine and strength because these little balls are going to become little Latvian mittens for me!

And for completeness, here's a series of photographs of some sample skeins I spun up.

The two skeins at the bottom right derive their color from a mix between two colored fleeces, and below is a picture showing the mixing.

The darker skein was a 50:25:25 mix of orange : light blue : dark blue fleeces. I placed the solid color combed tops in the picture above only for reference. Unfortunately I did not photograph the mixed color combed tops before I spun them...
I think, for my mittens, I'm going to use the dark red and blue. I am currently working on a gold mix that looks just about the right color to go along with the other two. I will eventually post the beginnings of the mittens.
I the mean time, if you're in the North East coast, enjoy the mild weather: go outside!
Good night!

3 Comments:

Blogger lazysaturday said...

Hi, thanks for the tutorials with combing and such, the photos are great and your spinning's beautiful! I've been using two hand-held single row combs but I don't I'm very good yet since my top has neps in it. Do you think it's just a matter of practice?

3/13/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Hi suegene,
thanks for the nice comments!
I don't usually get neps in my combed top, except when I pull too much wool from the comb out since the short bits of fiber get lodged in the comb. When I begin to see bits of debris, that's a signal for me to stop pulling the wool (through the diz). Also, sometimes, if the wool has soft tips, more neps pop out. I think the condition of the fleece has a lot to do with the quality of the top in the end. So I guess practice helps some and good, healthy fleece helps some more! Either way one gets a good arm workout while combing!

3/13/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger lazysaturday said...

Ana, I just read your reply, thanks! I get my comments emailed to me and it's too bad blogger won't just let you reply to that email rather than have to go back to the actual post. Oh well, maybe it'll happen someday ;-)

3/27/2006 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home