Sunday, March 26, 2006

CVM fleece

I've been busy processing this really nice California Variegated Mutant (CVM) fleece.


CVM is a color pattern of Romeldale sheep, which in turn is a breed that originated from crossing Romneys and Rambouillet. The CVM coloration is quite rare and there are not many places that sell these romeldale fleeces. The fleece itself is quite soft and fine with tiny crimp. After I opened up the fleece, I neatly packed my four mesh laundry bags with the wool locks.


This process took probably over two hours to go through! But it was well worth it. And here's a snapshot of the washed locks. The fleece had basically three main colors: light grey, medium grey, and moorit-grey.


Most of my spare time this week was spent combing this batch of clean CVM wool. And this is what I have so far:


which is just over one pound! (Yes, that is a cat at the top of the photo, his name is Cayman and he likes to sleep ALL day) I really liked the variegation in the fleece, so I tried to carry that over to the combed top and the spun yarn. Below is a sample skein of the CVM wool. I really like the variegated pattern in it. This wool is going to be used for a sweater, so I am spinning worsted for worsted-weight yarn.

3 Comments:

Blogger lazysaturday said...

love the sample skein, I'm excited to see what you make with the spun yarn!

3/27/2006 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sample skein is Be-U-tiful!

3/28/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Angela M said...

Wow, thats amazing. From raw wool, clean, wool, to yarn. Great pics and really nice sample skein there.

4/14/2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home