Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Moorit merino doily

I decided to use my sample skein of that pretty moorit merino fleece on a small project; a lace doily. I got the pattern from A Gathering of Lace book. I wanted to make sure I was spinning the correct weight for (eventually) a lace shawl.



This exercise was actually very useful since I now know that I want to spin a little thinner yarn for the shawl and add a bit more twist to it. The yarn above is probably at the borderline between lace and fingering weight. Anyway, the doily was a quick and fun way to learn some more about spinning and how homespun knits up. I also wanted to see how this specific moorit color would look as a lacy product. I like the colors even more now!

Another thing I did some time ago was to knit up the multicolor merino/mohair (50/50) yarn. I made a sock. Sorry about the bad lighting in the pictures...





The yarn is kind of irregular. I was sort of careless about spinning it (actually, I was in a hurry to get it done in time to catch a plane!). I think 50% mohair might be a little too much for my taste. But the sock is nice and shiny from it. I still have to make the other sock, though I must confess that I don't really feel very excited about that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

Lovely doily. And very handsome cats.

6/16/2006 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ana,

Thanks for your comment on my blog! The cormo fleece is their grand champion fleece from MD. Once I get some more experience I'd love to get some more from them, the quality is just so good.

Thanks for the tips on combing, both in your comment and on your blog. You've processed some lovely fleeces and I've enjoyed reading about it!

You're probably not that far from me, where in MA are you?

6/27/2006 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home