Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Multicolor tops all spun up and a sitting cat watching soccer

I've been accumulating pictures in my digital camera and finally, today, I put them where they belong: here!

First, while I was watching the World Cup two weekends ago, I spun up this multicolor merino top I dyed some crazy colors.



My husband and I kind of like the color combo even though it's really bright. Anyway, I left this as singles because I wanted to try out the energized singles scarf I saw in the Spring issue of Spin Off. But since the big move I haven't been able to find a lot of things, including this magazine. So, I made it up from memory. But with all things vaguely thought out and planned, the scarf pattern didn't turn out quite as I had envisioned. I still like the way it though. It looks and feels autumn-cozy.



Last weekend I decided that it was about time that I started doing something with the multicolor merino top I bought at WEBS in the fall of last year. So again, while watching the Cup, I spun it. Hey look who was sitting up and watching the tele with me!


(he's rooting for Brazil)

I want to make a quick lacy scarf with the wool (which, by the way, is Ashland Bay Sandalwood). So I made 2-ply yarn, heavy fingering, at ~350 yds for 100 gr.


and below is a close up:


It's fun to watch soccer while spinning. One thing lab work has taught me is to multitask. I try not to look at my hands and wool and just get a feel for the twist and the yarn that's being spun up. That way I get to see all that's going on in the game AND practice spinning by feel. It's very Zen (the spinning, that is, NOT the soccer--the latter is very stressful sometimes).

2 Comments:

Blogger Michaela said...

I was stuck in traffic on the NY Thruway during the England/Portugal match today with no access to the score until just before the penalty kicks phase -- that was even more stressful than watching the game I think! (I was rooting for England, alas...)

7/01/2006 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors on the scarf, very russet fall. When you say it didn't turn out as expected, do you mean you were aiming for the zigzagging to be more pronounced? Now that I've seen your scarf and started spinning singles, I think I'd like to try this technique out.

Your spun yarn looks really great for spinning by feel!

7/21/2006 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home