Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Dyed silk singles

At the beginning of this year I dyed some Tussah silk top and some Polypay fleece together in the same pot. I wanted a blend of silk and wool (20:80), which I accomplished by combing. I made 2-ply fingering weight yarn (~200 grams) for my friend's birthday. It came out nice with a touch of shimmer, but alas, no recorded picture of it to post here.

But anyway, I had dyed WAY more silk than I actually used for that project. So last week I spun the rest by itself. There's ~50 grams of it here and about 350 yds.


shiny variegated pink silk


I've been noticing that I dye a lot of my fibers pink... I think I should force myself to look the other way and choose a different shade. I really like pink, though I don't think it goes particularly well on me. Anyway, don't know what I want to do with this yet. I would love to weave something in silk, but that will have to wait until I get a little table loom... which means a really long wait.

On a different note, I bought some plain worsted weight wool to make another (I already made 4!) French Market Bag. My favorite bag was one I made with some Noro yarn. So I am psyching myself up for "warping" it on my board. I want to make a sort of stripey pattern with it and for that I need a very long skein. I saw in Monica's blog, Two Left Needles, that she used a knitting machine to create a fabric on which she painted the stripes. I like this idea too, and maybe I will dig out my old childhood knitting machine for this purpose. Do any of you have a preferred method?

Will post pictures of whatever happens soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your silk singles look lovely. How much twist are you putting in?

7/21/2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Ana said...

Thanks Monica.

I put in a LOT of twist into this yarn! I remember that the last (and first) time I had spun with pure silk, I didn't put in enough twist and the whole thing looked funky.

The tricky part was transferring the singles to the niddy noddy without incorporating the "pig tails". It took me a while to do this. But I guess if one is going to spin >=2-ply yarn, then this part doesn't much matter.

7/21/2006 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home