Friday, August 18, 2006

Sample skein and a swatch

Call me corny but I just thought it would be so cute to make a baby cardigan that matches my husband's Irish Moss sweater by Alice Starmore. Whenever I saw pictures of whole families wearing the same hand knitted sweaters on the pages of pattern books, I cringed. But I think this is a little different. For starters, the baby garment will be a cardigan, not a closed sweater, and the colors will be completely different (my husband's is brown), never mind that no one looks at the parents when they see the cute plump baby.

Anyway, here's a close up of the sample skein I spun up 3-ply of that clown-wig color combo. See, it's not too bright at all. In fact, it's a very mossy green.



I made a little swatch using US size 4 needles to see how the cabled patterns would look like with this yarn. I like 3-ply yarn better than 2-ply for cable knitting because it really shows off the stitches, especially on patterns that rely heavily on twisted stitches.



I noticed the colors on the two pictures above look a little different from each other. The best match to the actual yarn I'm looking at next to my computer is a mix of those two.

The yarn is SO incredibly soft. I can't stop petting the swatch. I decided that I like this color combination, so now I just have to comb the rest of the dyed locks (some 300 grams) together in the same color ratios.

Hope yall have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The swatch looks great, the colors have nice depth. It will be a cute sweater!

8/21/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

oh wow - the swatch looks fantastic, and I envy you your three-ply :D (and your fleeces too lol)

(thanks for popping by my blog!)

11/13/2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger Angela Catirina said...

REALLY BEAUTIFUL YARN!!!.......We have a fun new knitting web site - thought you might like to visit sometime

www.catirinabonetdesigns.com

Happy Thanksgiving!

11/17/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I think it looks gorgeous - not at all like those yucky photos of matching sweater families :) The yarn is beautiful and shows lovely stitch definition.

5/18/2008 7:44 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Hi Ana, thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment.

Lovely yarn! The cables stand out beautifully. I never thought about how 3 versus 2-ply yarn effects this. Good to know.

6/26/2009 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home